Here’s the thing… there is money to be made out there, while sitting in here, you just have to know where to find it, what you want to do, how much you want to make, and how to NOT get scammed. I am going to try and set something up here that is easy to understand and help you save time and avoid pitfalls.
First some guidelines.
- Do not pay anyone to work for them. There is PLENTY of work out there that costs you ZERO dollars. There are some exceptions and legitimate opportunities that require some investment on your part but for now, Beginner Online Money Maker Mommy, steer clear of any biz op that asks for even one cent. You have been warned.
- Working from home will make your butt bigger unless you take action ahead of time. Once you get involved in work from home opportunities and build yourself a nice business that keeps you busy, you will find yourself sitting on your rump hunched over the puter for hours at a time. Working from home requires planning and organization. It is crucial that you schedule several stretch and exercise breaks when planning each day. You have been warned. Again.
- Don’t be afraid of REFERRAL PROGRAMS! Some of the opportunities pay very little for the simple task you do but if others sign up for the program under you you make more money. The money is EASY and REAL. Too bad your friends and fam will roll their eyes and you’ll have to rely on your social networking to build referrals.
- Residuals rock! Whether blogging or writing content for companies, the more relevant and timeless your work, the longer it will stay alive and continue earning money for you. Many companies pay you every time your work gets read, so write good stuff that lasts!
- Change the way you think about earning money. We have been trained to think that the higher the job pays, the more successful we are. The problem with that is that those jobs usually require many hours and loads of dedication and commitment. Online revenue opportunites may pay small but keep in mind how little time and effort you actually invest and how many “small tasks” you can accomplish per day. It can add up to some very decent “mad money” or turn into an excellent full time wage. AND the hours and dress code are excellent!
What kind of work do you want? Some options are….
- Freelance writing… Companies pay you to write articles for them. You might get 1 to 3 cents per word or you might get $15 for a 250 word article. I have heard of writers working for free in the beginning to build a resume but I never had to do that. You might get a few articles at a time or you might stumbled upon a sweet ongoing assignment. I’ll share with you some places to look around to find assignments.
- Reading emails is a simple way to build a slow but steady stream of cash. Think of the money earned as dropping change into your piggy bank. The time you will invest is so small you should just forget about it and let it surprise you one day when it turns into an amount that thrills you. Here’s how it works. The company sends you the email or you log onto their website to see what is available. You read the advertisement and they drop 1 – 3 cents in your account. I know it doesn’t sound like much but considering you spent all of 20 seconds doing it, it is worth something. Here is what I do… I drop all my paid emails into a file in my mailbox to be reviewed later when I am doing laundry. I put my laundry basket up on a chair by the computer and I click the email and read it while I fold an item. Click, read, and fold. BAM! Another 2 cents! Don’t laugh… how much money do YOU make while folding laundry! Once in a while you might find something you’re interested in and decide to buy or sign up for. That’s fine. Just don’t forget the number 1 rule: do not fall for anything that requires you pay to work for them!
- BLOGGING! Blogging is really for fun, for sharing information, and self expression. It’s a super cool bonus that there are companies out there willing to pay you for advertising for them in one way or another.
- Social Networking sites do not pay much and the pay schemes are often difficult to understand BUT the advantage of them is that you meet like minded people, find more and better work, and generate traffic for your blogs.
- Product Reviews are fun, informative, and pay well if you get into a groove. Casual use will make you at least a few bucks a month. There are sites you visit and write about whatever you want to review and there are companies that will pay you to review their product on your blog.
- Surveys, shopping, playing games, responding to offers, mystery shopping, etc. are all things I have not spent much time on. I have heard great stories from people but most of these places pay in “points” which later can be redeemed for cash, gift cards, and so on. It is on my “to do soon” list to pick one of these companies and stick with it for a few weeks and see what happens so we can all be better informed.
So that’s the story on working from home. If you’re interested in checking out some companies that pay you to work from home, please visit the MOMMIES MAKING MONEY page frequently (use the link in the right margin or the link at the very top left!) as I add more content and build an informative work from home guide for you.